462 Halsey Community Garden is a collaborative effort by community residents to create a green space in Bedford Stuyvesant that is dedicated to serving the community in areas that include education, agriculture, healthy living, community pride and community ownership.
We recognize that the act of reclaiming public land for community use is a political act, and as such we aim to be a space that facilitates activism for the oppressed in our community. This includes actively enforcing our safe space policy and rallying against racism, sexism, transphobia, homophobia and other forms of oppression.
462 Halsey Community Garden is a space that is inclusive to all. We strive to highlight and celebrate the historical community of color here in Bed Stuy, which we all call home. As such, we want our leadership, practice and programming to reflect that culture and that spirit of self-determination, actualization and empowerment.
Our goals are:
- To grow food and forge new community bonds and relationships through mutual hard work
- To offer neighborhood youth a place to develop and grow through hands-on learning and involvement
- To share knowledge on healthy and sustainable living for all residents and to foster a cooperative learning environment
- To encourage food, social and environmental justice through practice, awareness and advocacy
- To increase access to locally grown food